The paper presents the results of MCNP simulation of the self-powered neutron detector (SPND) signal formation as a result of emitter nuclei activation under the irradiation with neutrons generated in the fuel assemblies. To account for the non-uniformity of emitter burnup along the radius, its model was divided radially into 10 layers of equal thickness. It has been shown that the main contribution of about 88 % of SPND signal is provided by the four peripheral emitter layers. The contribution of different parts of emitter to the SPND signal formation throughout the lifetime of the SPND in the In-Core Monitoring System was found. Simulation results allow us to determine the SPND signal when the spectral characteristics of the neutron flux at the detector location change during the fuel campaign. The study has investigated and proposed a SPND model with the higher neutron sensitivity even though a smaller amount of expensive rhodium is used.
Keywords: self-powered neutron detector, activation of rhodium emitter, burning of rhodium emitter, SPND model, neutron spectrum.
1. Bragin V.A. Batenin I.V., Golovanov M.N., Kuzhil A.S. et al. In-core Monitoring System of NPP with VVER. – Moskva: Energoatomisdat, 1987. - P. 128. (Rus)
2. Halimonchuk V.A. Operation Software ICMS top level of VVER-1000 under implementation in Ukraine of the expanded program on diversification of nuclear fuel // Yaderna ta radіatsiyna bezpeka. - 2015. - Vol. 1. - P. 7 - 12. (Rus)
3. Kurchenkov A.Yu. Transitional functions used in the restoration and control of energy release of water-water-type reactor installations. The dissertation author's abstract on competition of a scientific degree of the candidate of physical and mathematical sciences. - Moskva: SRC KI, MEPhI, 2013. - P. 26. (Rus)
4. Assemblies of in-reactor detectors. SVRD. Manual. ШПИС.418260.002 РЭ. (Rus)
5. Piontkovskyi Yu.F., Borysenko V.I. Accounting emitter burnup od SPND in the problem of reconstructing the energy distribution on the core of VVER-1000 // Proceedings of the V International Scientific and Practical Conference “Safety and Efficiency of Nuclear Energy”. Odessa, Ukraine, 5 - 9 Sept. 2016. - Odessa, 2016. (Rus)
6. Shamanin I.V., Kiselev A.V., Lyzko V.A. Control of energy distributions in the operation of a nuclear reactor using a self powered neutron detector // Bulletin of the Tomsk Polytechnic University. - 2010. - T. 316, № 2. - P. 67 - 71. (Rus)
7. MCNPTM – A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code, Version 4C. Manual / Editted by J. F. Briesmeister. – LA-13709-M, 2000. – 898 с. – (Documentation for CCC-700/MCNP4C Data Package, Section 4).
8. Borysenko V.I. Piontkovskyi Yu.F., Goranchuk V.V. Tthe model of formation of in-core neutron detector signal // Yaderna physica ta energetyka. - 2016. - Vol. 17, No. 4. - P. 364 – 373. (Rus)
9. Piontkovskyi Yu.F., Borysenko V.I. Influence of parameters of the core VVER-1000 to initiate a signal SPND // Abstracts. XXIII Annual Scientific Conference of the Institute for Nuclear Research of NAS of Ukraine. 1 – 5 Febr. 2016, p. 104. (Ukr)
10. Tsimbalov S.A. Features rhodium neutron detector DPZ-1M. Preprint IAE-3899/4. - 1984. - 16 p. (Rus)
11. VVER physics experiments: regular hexagonal (1.27 cm pitch) lattices of low-enriched U(2.4 wt. % 235U)O2 fuel rods in light water at different core critical dimensions / NEA/NSC/DOC/(95)03/IV. Volume IV/ LEU-COMPTHERM-064, p. 70.
12. Central Spent Fuel Storage Facility. Preliminary safety analysis report. Chapter 8. Nuclear safety. SSIC CSER. 2016, p. 54. (Rus)
13. Sapon M.M., Borysenko V.I. Determination of reactivity coefficients VVER 1000 in the code MCNP // Abstracts. XXIII Annual Scientific Conference of the Institute for Nuclear Research of NAS of Ukraine. 1 - 5 Febr. 2016, p. 107. (Ukr)
14. NTS NNEGC "Energoatom". Development of a national settlement complex ICMS-M2. Protocol № 3 on 11/16/2016. (Rus)