The commissioning of the New Safe Confinement at the Chornobyl Nuclear Plant Unit 4 site will mark the achievement of one important milestone within the process “conversion of the Chornobyl Unit 4 into safe ecologic conditions”. New radioactive waste management facilities have been developed at Chornobyl Nuclear Plant and at Vektor Complex to ensure the safe management of radioactive wastes in the Chornobyl Exclusion Zone. The continued investigations and safety assessments of different legacy waste sites which were created as part of the accident response measures confirm the efficiency of the measures of the past are and consolidate the basis for the strategy for the safe management of legacy wastes. All these together demonstrates that the national and international efforts vested to manage the consequences of the Chornobyl accident have achieved substantial and visible progress in safety and long term safety will be achieved by their consistent continuation.
Keywords: radioactive waste management, radiation safety, Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
1. Chernobyl Challenges, Presentation, Berg- und Hüttenmännischer Tag, Freiberg/Germany, 18 June 2015.
2. Chernobyl Unit 4 Shelter Implementation Plan, Final Report, 31 May 1997, Tacis Services, DG 1A, European Commission, Brussels/Belgium, US Department of Energy, Washington/US.
3. Chernobyl Unit 4: Short and Long-Term Measures, Final report, 29 November 1996, Tacis Services, DG 1A, European Commission, Brussels/Belgium.
4. Molitor. Sicherung des Havarie-Reaktors Tschernobyl – Entwicklung und Stand der Projekte – Presentation at the 6th Darmstädter Kolloquium/Germany, 11 March 1999.
5. Molitor et al. Mutual Benefits During Decommissioning Projects in CEE, Presentation, CEE Decommissioning & Waste Corporation, Berlin/Germany, 18 - 19 June 2008.
6. Molitor, Javelle. Chernobyl Experience – International Projects : Conversion of Chernobyl Unit 4 into Environmentally Safe Conditions, Presentation, RANDEC Decommissioning Seminar, Tokyo/Japan 27 October 2011.
7. Molitor; Javelle. Conversion into Environmental Conditions, Article, RANDEC Decommissioning Journal Nr. 44, Japan, September 2011.
8. Molitor, Javelle. International Projects at Chernobyl Unit 4, Presentation, 7th Annual conference on decommissioning and waste management, Prague/Czech Republic 07 - 08 September 2011.
9. Drace, Javelle, Molitor. Achievements and Remaining Challenges for the Conversion of Chornobyl NPP Unit 4 into Ecologically Safe Conditions // Successes and unsolved problems on the way to transforming the 4th power unit of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant into an environmentally safe system. Publication in Ukrainian in “30 years of Chernobyl Disaster (reviews). Coll. of inf.-analytic rep. – K. : КІМ, 2016.
10. Molitor. 30 Years of Experience and a Way Forward, Chornobyl, Presentation at Forum on "Chornobyl's Legacy for the Nuclear Safety of the World", 21 - 23 April 2016, Kiev/Ukraine.
11. Molitor et al. Recent Safety Assessment Findings on Management of Legacy Wastes from Chornobyl Accident, The Second International Conference on Nuclear Decommissioning and Environment Recovery INUDECO'17, 25 - 27 April 2017, Slavutych/Ukraine.
12. Unpublished reports on RWTSP, RWDS and Vektor Complex Characterization, Safety Assessment and Conclusions prepared for CRWME and SAEZ, 2014 - 2017.