The analysis of the basic sources of errors under measuring of separate hot particles β-activity by the autoradiography method is carried out. The problem of selecting optimum parameters of radiographic spots and requirements to their detection for minimization of an activity determination error is considered. It is shown that in the area of minimum-possible registration levels of a darkening which enable detecting low-active particles, at recording of radio graphic spots the integrated optical density of a spot is a minimum sensitive to background oscillations. For higher registration levels of a darkening it is more preferable to use a spot diameter as a parameter. The quadruple exposure of the same filter fragment has allowed reproducing the total activity on a fragment not worse 25 % of the relative deviation. For particles with the high activity within the range of the calibration curve extrapolation this quantity did not exceed 50 %.
Keywords: autoradiography, hot particles, β-activity measuring.
1. Hramov Ju. A. Becquerel Antoine Anri / Ju. A. Hramov // Physicists: the Biographic manual. – 1983. – P. 28. – 400 р. (Rus)
2. Webb J. H. The Fogging of Photographic Film by Radioactive Contaminants in Cardboard Packaging Materials / J. H. Webb // Physical Review. – August 1, 1949. – Vol. 76, No. 3. – P. 375 – 380.
3. Pöllänen Roy. Nuclear fuel particles in the environment - characteristics, atmospheric transport and skin doses / Roy Pöllänen. STUK-A188. Helsinki 2002, 63 р.
4. ICRP Publication 68. Dose Coefficients for Intakes of Radionuclides by Workers //Annals of the ICRP. 1994. V.24. № 4.
5. Salbu B. Hot particles - a challenge within radioecology / B. Salbu // Journal of Environmental Radioactivity. – 2001. – Vol. 53. – P. 267 - 268.
6. Dale P. Radioactive particles in dose assessments / P. Dale, I. Robertson, M. Toner // Journal of Environmental Radioactivity. – 2008. – Vol. 99. – Р. 1589 – 1595.
7. ICRP Publication 103. ICRP, 2007. Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection (Users Edition). ICRP Publication 103 (Users Edition).
8. NCRP (1975). Alpha-emitting Particles in Lungs. NCRP Report No. 46, National Council of Radiation Protection and Measurements, Bethesda, Maryland.
9. NCRP 1989. Limit for exposure to “hot particles“ on the skin: recommendations of the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements. NCRP report No. 106, 1989.
10. Boyd G. A. Autoradiography in biology and medicine / G. A. Boyd. – New York: Academic Press Inc. – 1955. – 360 p.
11. Bykhovsky A. В. Methodical instructions on study of radioactive aerosols in case of presence at their composition of hot particles / A. В. Bykhovsky, O. M. Zaraev. – Printing house of Ministry of Health of the USSR, 1967. – 40 с. (Rus)
12. Rogers A. W. Techniques of autoradiography / A. W. Rogers. – 3. ed. – 1979. – 429 p.
13. Gahan P. B. Autoradiography for biologists / P. B. Gahan. – 1972. – 125 p.
14. Garger E. K. About measurement beta-activity of the quantity hot particles with autoradiography / E. K. Garger, V. K. Shinkarenko, B. L. Gorkovenko // Problemy bezpeky atomnykh electrostantsiy i Chornobylya (Problems of Nuclear Power Plants' Safety and of Chornobyl). – 2005. – Iss. 2. – P. 33 – 40. (Rus)
15. Shynkarenko V. K. To definition of activity of hot particles by a radiographic method / V. K. Shynkarenko // Problemy bezpeky atomnykh elektrostantsiy i Chornobylya (Problems of Nuclear Power Plants' Safety and of Chornobyl). – 2008. – Iss. 9. – P. 130 – 139. (Rus)
16. Garger E. K.. Estimation of the degree of dissolution radioactive aerosols particles from object «Ukryttya» / E. K. Garger, O. O. Odintsov, V. K. Shynkarenko // Problemy bezpeky atomnykh elektrostantsiy i Chornobylya (Problems of Nuclear Power Plants' Safety and of Chornobyl). – 2009. – Iss. 12. – P. 125 – 136. (Rus)