At the stage of the removal of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant from operation, it is necessary to create new additional capacity for the management of radioactive waste that will be generated. The possibility of using existing Chernobyl nuclear power plant buildings of their technological equipment and engineering communi¬cations after the implementation of the corresponding reconstruction and re-profiling is analyzed to create facilities for handling radioactive waste. Such an approach will significantly reduce the cost of building a new infrastructure for managing radioactive waste. The results of studies on the state of building structures and the provision of radiation safety during construction and installation work on the reconstruction of a part of rooms of the machine room of the first stage of Chernobyl nuclear power plant, for the creation of high-level waste storage facilities have been analyzed. After performing relatively little costly repair work, the building will be ready for reconstruction and further operation within 50 years. At the same time, measures to ensure a sufficient level of radiation safety are typical, which does not imply significant additional costs. It is shown that the cost of building new facilities for handling radioactive waste is several times higher than when the same facilities are located in existing buildings of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
Keywords: NPP, high-level radioactive waste storage, radiation safety.
1. Construction of radioactive contaminated materials and radioactive waste management facilities at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. FSI. - Kyiv, KIEP, 2012. (Ukr)
2. Scientific and technical report on engineering geological surveys. Reconstruction of a part of the machine room of the first stage of the ChNPP to create a high-level waste storage facility. 19-288-08-812.- Kyiv : Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine. State Enterprise «Kyiv Institute of Engineering Surveys and Research" Energoproekt», 2017. (Ukr)
3. Research report : Investigation and assessment of the technical state of the construction constructions of the machine room of the 1 st queue of the ChNPP (final) . - Book 1. - Results of the visual and instrumental inspection of the building constructions of the machine room of the first stage of the ChNPP in the axes 1-34 / А-B and assessment of the technical state of the building constructions. - Book 2. - Results of calculations. - Reconstruction of the part of the machine room of the first stage of the Chornobyl NPP to create a high-level waste storage facility. - Kyiv, State Enterprise «State Research Institute of Building Structures», 2017. (Ukr)
4. Final report on the results of the radiation survey of job sites and access routes 376-301703-РБ-04-01. Project «Reconstruction of a part of the machine room of the first stage of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant to create a high-level waste storage facility». – Chornobyl : ISP NPP, 2018. (Ukr)
5. Control levels of radiation safety 41П-С. - SSE ChNPP, 2012. (Rus)