Based on a “Memorandum of Understanding between the Governments of the G7-countries, the European Commission and the Government of Ukraine on the Closure of the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant”, signed in 1995, joint international efforts were initiated to develop “a cost effective and environmentally sound approach to the shelter for Chernobyl Unit 4” and the Study “Chernobyl Unit 4: Short and Long Term Measures” was prepared in 1996 with a recommended course of actions. Based on the recommendations of the study the “Shelter Implementation Plan (SIP)” was prepared and its implementation started in 1998. After its soon expected successful completion, the options for the next steps need to be analysed and decided.
Keywords: nuclear accident, fuel containing materials, remedial measures, decision processes, option analysis.
1. Molitor N., Drace Z., Javelle C. Achievements and Remaining Challenges for the Conversion of Chornobyl NPP Unit 4 into Ecologically Safe Conditions.
2. Molitor N. Chernobyl Challenges, Presentation, Berg- und Hüttenmännischer Tag, Freiberg/Germany, 18 June 2015.
3. Molitor N., Javelle C. Chernobyl Experience – International Projects : Conversion of Chernobyl Unit 4 into Environmentally Safe Conditions, Presentation, RANDEC Decommissioning Seminar, Tokyo/Japan 27 October 2011.
4. Molitor N., Javelle C. Conversion into Environmental Conditions, Article, RANDEC Decommissioning Journal Nr.44, Japan, September 2011.
5. Molitor; N., Javelle C. International Projects at Chernobyl Unit 4, Presentation, 7th Annual conference on decommissioning and waste management, Prague/Czech Republic 7 - 8 September 2011.
6. Molitor N. et al. Mutual Benefits During Decommissioning Projects in CEE, Presentation, CEE Decommissioning & Waste Corporation, Berlin/Germany, 18 - 19 June 2008.
7. Molitor N. Sicherung des Havarie-Reaktors Tschernobyl – Entwicklung und Stand der Projekte – Presentation at the 6th Darmstädter Kolloquium/Germany, 11 March 1999.
8. International Expert Team led by N. Molitor; Chernobyl Unit 4 Shelter Implementation Plan, Final Report, 31 May 1997, Tacis Services, DG 1A, European Commission, Brussels/Belgium, US Department of Energy, Washington/ US.
9. International Expert Team led by N. Molitor; Chernobyl Unit 4: Short and Long-Term Measures, Final report, 29 November 1996, Tacis Services, DG 1A, European Commission, Brussels/Belgium.